Monday, August 31, 2009

Wow!

Yours truly has spent his bank holiday at a wildlife rescue centre that takes in various animals from those injured by cars to those from closed down zoos and everything in between. In doing so I have had the honour and the privilege to be within inches of 2 Bengali Tigers and 2 European Grey Wolves.

It is impossible to put into words just how magnificent these creatures are, how enthralling they are to watch and how clearly intelligent and powerful they are. Years ago at university I studied biology and while I am no longer in that business I look at animals like that and I remember exactly why I studied at.

I feel truly humbled.

More concerning though is that it is believed that there are only 5000 tigers remaining in the wild and yet they are still being hunted. And that is a horrifying thought.

No comments: