Thursday, October 16, 2008

In Praise of Blue Peter

So Blue Peter is 50 years old today, and I would like to wish them a very happy birthday!

Blue Peter is not cutting edge, lets be clear on that. What it does do though is appeal to all those millions of kids that are quite simply into all kinds of, for want of a better word, stuff. They like making things, they like messing around in the garden, they like planes that go fast, they like sport and they like cooking. Every episode (and I watch it if I'm home from work in time as I've got all kinds of ideas for my cubs off of there!) gives a huge mixture of different things that appeal to all kinds of kids.

It's not too dramatic, although it does look at some big issues, particularly through it's appeals, it entertains yet is still intellectually stimulating while, and this is the important bit, still allowing kids to be kids.

50 years old and going strong, here's to another 50 years!

No comments: