Tuesday, July 08, 2008

A Crying shame

From somewhere, I wont say where, I can hear one of the worlds more irritating songs, right now. You know the one, the with the chorus that says "you and me baby aint nothing but mammals so lets do it like they do on the discovery channel". It's a crap song, it really is. How could any song writer put their name to it? I don't know who wrote or sung it and I don't care.

But you know what the crying shame is? Listen to it, the start, the very start, and listen to that gloriously melodic riff that it starts with. Its so simple but so catchy, just like the Beatles came up with in their prime. And it could have been used to craft some glorious bit of pop music, something whimsical and dreamy.

But no, it had those frankly dreadful lyrics set to it.

I'm no muso, my record collection while respectable (other than the avril lavigne, but we all have our skeletons in our closset!) is not huge and I can only butcher half a dozen chords together on a guitar, but I despair when I hear music butchered in this way.

3 comments:

Putz said...

one of my favorities is MOTHER GOT RUN OVER BY A REINDEER ....

Kid Penfold said...

Ah, you're talking about The Bad Touch by the Bloodhound Gang, an alt.rock band with a smart line in piss-taking. When me and a friend did a club night in Bradford many moons ago, we had an advance copy and played it every week until it was released as a single... three months later. So I might be to blame, but then again, I like the song.

Akela said...

A piss take you say? I bloody well hope so!