Friday, May 11, 2007

The Media

The media are it again, creating a culture of fear.

A young British child has been abducted in Portugal and that is an appalling tragedy. I care passionately about kids, I wouldn't be a scout leader if I didn't. And many others do as well.

I am though not a parent and despite how much I care about the kids in my care I know that I will never have the same depth of feeling for them as their parents do, I accept that. So accuse me if you will of not understanding when I say the following.

There have been many reports in the media along the lines of what more should parents be doing to keep their children safe. About precautions they can take to stop their children being kidnapped by the Boigie man. I hope that doesn't sound insensitive, it's not meant to be, it's meant to be a serious point. The odds of a child being abducted by a stranger are actually longer than being struck by lightning. It's true.

And just like preventing a lightning strike the precautions are very simple and ones that everyone is doing already. Make sure your child doesn't stand underneath a loan tree in a thunderstorm. Make sure they don't walk off with strangers.

It's a simple precaution to prevent something very unlikely in both situations.

There is no reason for the media to carry on trying to create a culture of fear over this issue or indeed any other. I may not be a parent but I do know that it's good for children to develop independence and self confidence. If you wrap them in cotton wool that wont happen.

No comments: