Monday, February 26, 2007

What turns us in to the person we are? It's something I've been thinking about for a while now. There are many major events I can think of in my life that were pretty formative but there is one I wanted to write about simply because in some ways it seems so minor yet in others its quite fundamental, when you look further at it anyway and it something I've only just picked up on.

So what is it? Well basically its the view out of my parents toilet window! Seriously!

Now this might seem like not a lot to worry about it but picture this. The toilet is the smallest room in the house and is not heated. My Dad though isthe smelliest man in the world in the toilet so the window tended to be left open permanently when I was a kid. So any visit to the loo would mean looking out the window as I did what ever needed to be done. And what could I see? The M25 about quarter of a mile away that's what! That bloody motorway that goes round in circles, permanently snarled up and generally horrible.

So particularly in winter there I would be a in a freezing cold room able only to hear the constant roar of a faceless motorway, able to see not much than the cold orange glow of the lighting of the motorway and it used to make me feel so empty. It used to turn me really quite cold inside, this facelsss urban horror. And it is one of those things that I think helped shape me now, in to looking further and deeper and wanting something a bit more out of life than the materialistic rubbish I seem to be expected to look for.

No comments: